Outdoor Origins is a group specifically for Worcestershire Wildlife Trust’s youth volunteers! This group offers young people between the ages of 14 – 18 years old the opportunity to get involved in all aspects of the amazing conservation work we do.
Who can join?
ANYONE between the ages of 14 – 18 years may join the group.
Don’t worry if you have never done anything like this before! You don’t need any previous experience. All you need is:
- Ability to get on with others and work as part of a team
- Interest and enthusiasm for nature and wildlife conservation
- Willingness to work outside (in all weathers!)
As a member of the group you will get the opportunity to:
- Benefit wildlife conservation by getting stuck in with practical conservation tasks such as scrub removal, building habitat piles, repairing fences etc. on our amazing nature reserves.
- Learn to safely use different hand tools e.g. bow saws, loppers, axes, bill hooks and knives.
- Learn about our amazing natural world and grow your wildlife knowledge and identification skills.
- Learn about what is involved in wildlife conservation and nature reserve management.
- Take part in a wide range of fun skill building activities - bushcraft, green wood working and more - that look fantastic on application forms.
- Take part in our informal ‘youth council’ where we discuss wildlife and conservation issues important to you.
- Meet and socialise with like-minded people
Where does the group operate?
Various nature reserves around the county (including some not normally open to the public) and Lower Smite Farm where we have our wildlife area.
How often does the group meet?
The group would usually meet at least twice a month (with additional sessions in the school holidays). However, due to the situation with COVID-19, we will be meeting digitally via video call for the foreseeable future! As soon as it is safe to do so, and following official advice, we will restart limited practical sessions (please contact Ben on the form below if you would like more information).