, Worcester & Droitwich, Worcestershire, WR3 8SZ
For more information please email our Iain or call him on 01905 754919.
Purpose of Role
Arable crops, meadows, woodland, wildlife ponds and a vegetable garden make up this 65 hectare farm that's also home to the Trust offices. A farm trail around the reserve allows views of all habitats whilst we also regularly host a variety of guided walks, talks and educational experiences. We aim to demonstrate key techniques to establish a resilient farming enterprise. Taking care of soil health and providing a sanctuary for pollinators we are able to monitor practices and share knowledge with the wider farming community.
Type of work
As well as encouraging volunteers to develop their own monitoring and surveying interests, tasks around Lower Smite Farm include:
- young woodland management (thinning and pruning)
- tree planting
- wild bird food harvesting
- mowing of pathways including trail and public footpaths
- blackthorn cutting
- hedge laying
- fencing repairs and maintenance
- butterfly transects
- plant surveys
- bird nest box monitoring and maintenance
- pollinator nest box monitoring and maintenance
- Interest and enthusiasm for nature and wildlife conservation
- Willingness to work outside in all weathers
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Basic use of hand tools - training will be given
- Willingness to be involved in a number of tasks as directed
- Suitable for everyone with a basic level of fitness
Every Tuesday 9am-1pm but you're more than welcome to get involved with monitoring or surveying in the afternoon.
Being a farm volunteer gives you the chance to spend time at the Trust's HQ and learn about managing a farm with wildlife in mind. The tasks and the outdoors is great for your overall health and wellbeing as well as keeping you fit.