Events & Engagement Volunteer
, Worcester & Droitwich, Worcestershire, WR3 8SZ
To find out more or receive a Volunteer Registration Form, please email Iain or call 01905 754 919
Purpose of role
We run a series of public engagement events and activities at Lower Smite Farm and in public parks and greenspaces throughout Worcestershire across the year. From family activities to county shows, these are the perfect opportunities to engage and enthuse children and adults with the environment and wildlife conservation.
Type of tasks you will be involved with
As an Events & Engagement Volunteer, you would assist with these public events and activities alongside Wildlife Trust members of staff and other volunteers. The tasks vary with the types of events we are running but some examples of typical tasks involved are listed below:
- Engaging children and adults in outdoor, wildlife-themed activities such as walks, talks, bug hunts, pond dipping, crafts, games etc.
- Talking to members of the public and being an ambassador for our work
- Helping with the set-up and pack-down at events
- Selling refreshments at open days and events like our craft fair
- Taking admission fees, signing people in and helping us to understand more about our visitors
It is vital that all volunteers adhere to safeguarding and health and safety procedures.
Experience and skills required
- Experience of working with children or adults in an engagement setting
- Interest and enthusiasm for nature and wildlife conservation
- Willingness to be outside in all weathers
- A basic knowledge of UK wildlife and ID skills – although you really don’t need to be an expert!
- Able to work flexibly and use initiative
- Able to work in a team
- Able to communicate in engaging and professional way to children and adults
- Understanding of child safeguarding and health and safety procedures (training will be given)
- Willingness to be involved in various tasks as directed
This role is subject to the provision of two referees and an informal interview will be required.
Days/times we would like you to be available
This is an ad hoc, casual role, so hours are flexible – you can help out as much or little as you like.
You would be added to a pool of volunteers who we email when we have events planned. You can then decide which events you would like to be involved with.
As an engagement volunteer, you will work closely with members of the engagement staff, learning alongside them in the process. You will have the chance to come along and take part in an exciting and varied list of events throughout the year.